I am so happy to be teaching you how to set up a WordPress blog from the scratch. Believe me, you will learn all you need to know about setting up a new blog for your Business, for a Client or for your own personal blogging. Please just stay put, and read to the ending to learn all the tricks and tips you need to set up a WordPress Blog. You don’t need to be an expert to do this, just be very sensitive and attentive while reading this article, and i bet your, you are going to be amazed in yourself.
Step By on How to Set Up a WordPress Blog From The Scratch
Please make so sure you follow the steps i am going to be listing below as it is exactly what you need to get started and to finish too. How to set up a WordPress Blog has been a very crucial question, most newbies ask. Now let us start the journey on how to set up a WordPress blog:
- Discover your niche for your WordPress Blog
- Know the categories you want to focus on
- Decide on the Hosting Company you want to use
- Search and buy a good domain name
- Decide on the kind of hosting plan you want to use
- Install your WordPress
- Customize your blog
So we are going to be treating them one by one. Starting from the first option.
1. Discover Your Niche: step 1 on How To Set Up a WordPress Blog
The first thing to do when trying to set up a new blog is to Discover your niche. So when you think ‘How To Set Up a WordPress Blog also put into consideration a niche. A niche is an area you want to specialize on. It could be any of the following:
- Entertainment: This has to do with News, Sports, Trends, or any form of news providing platform you can ever think of.
- Music: This has to do with Uploading Music on your blog, where users come to download from. So this basically deals with music.
- Tech: This has to do with Tech related stuffs. Any discipline that has to do with Technology, then this niche is best for it.
- Career/Jobs: This has to do with Life/School Careers. And then Job Applications. That’s if you are so passionate with guiding people with getting jobs and guiding them through their job/school careers.
- Personal Blog: This is a niche that has to do with bloggers sharing their personal experiences, journeys and life patterns.
- Biography: This blog has to do with writing about the biographies of Celebrities and mostly important people in the society.
Food and recipes: This blog has to do with providing detailed information about foods and recipes
Fashion: This kind of blogs needs someone who is good with fashion and loves fashion also. This provides detailed styles, designs and materials for fashion.
Aside the blogging niches i mentioned above, we still have many more niches in blogging too. Examples of such blogs are: Beauty Blogs, Travel Blogs, Lifestyle Blogs, fitness and health blogging, Education Blogs. etc. So you can comfortably choose a niche from the list of niches i mentioned above. Please when choosing a niche, make so sure to choose a niche you are very good at. As this will make it easier for you to write and teach about. In this very case, i choose to blog about Tech, because that is what i am so good at. So in essence, Discovering your niche is the first thing to do, when you think about how to set up a WordPress Blog. Now let’s go into the next section.
2. Know the categories you want to focus on: step 2 on How To Set Up a WordPress Blog
After choosing your niche, the next big thing is to know the categories you want to focus on that niche. For example, in a Tech blog, we have different categories for different purposes. Some would go for, Coding, Programming, Software Development and so forth. But i choose to categorize my blog on ‘Blogging’, ‘Forex News’, ‘Digital Marketing’ because this are the areas i know the most.
Below is an example of a category in blogging using my own blog as a case study:
From the picture above, the part i circled is the categories for this my blog. That is an example of a blog categories. So selecting your categories is the second stage to consider whenever you think of how to set up a WordPress Blog. Let’s go to the third stage.
3. Decide on the Hosting Company you want to use: step 3 on How To Set Up a WordPress Blog
There is no way you can set up a blog without a host. A host is where the database of your WordPress Blog is being stored. Whenever you think of how to set up a WordPress Blog, hosting should also come to your mind, because there is no way you can set up a WordPress blog without a good host.
Now the question is how do you choose a good hosting company to host your WordPress site/blog?
Criteria for choosing a good Hosting Company
In choosing a WordPress host for your blog, there are many criteria to consider:
- The Niche of your blog: The niche of your blog has a very long way to go, when selecting your host.
- The Storage Capacity: The type of website/blog you want to build determines the size of the hosting package you should go for. If you are building a business site or a blog that requires users sign ups, then you need a higher hosting package. This is applicable for any of the hosting companies you want to use. They all have different storage spaces. But if you are setting up a simple WordPress blog for your normal blogging, then you need a simple hosting package. Another thing you have to consider is the traffic volume, if the traffic volume is high, then go for a higher hosting plan. For small blogs, i rather go for a shared hosting plan.
- Reviews and recommendations: Before deciding to host your blog on a hosting Company, you first read for reviews and recommendations to avoid making a mistake other had made. So please always check for reviews. One Hosting Company i would gladly recommend for you is Namecheap Hosting.
- Customer Service: Before choosing a hosting company, make sure to verify if their customer service is good. Many Hosting Companies don’t really have a good customer service. Amongst all the hosting companies, i prefer Namecheap Hosting because of their customer service. In short, they have the best customer service ever. Please i am speaking and recommending out of my experience using them.
- Renewal Price: Another thing to consider when trying to choose a good hosting plan is the hosting and renewal price. Just like i said above, Hosting is part of the things you need, whenever this question comes to you mind; How To Set Up a WordPress Blog. There are many cheap and affordable hosting companies you can get out there. But just like i said above, Namecheap Hosting is my best so far, because of their Cheap housings, good customer care too.
So the above are some of the few things you need to consider when trying to choose a hosting for your blog.
4. Search and buy a good domain name: step 4 on How To Set Up a WordPress Blog
When asking yourself how to set up a WordPress Blog, you should not neglect the place of choosing a good Domain Name for your blog. A good domain name has a way of giving a clear picture of what your blog/site is all about. Your Domain Name should be able to tell what your blog is all about. You can’t be setting up a food blog and you are using www.lawfulcash.com, that is completely a wrong Domain Name for such a niche. I chose to use this Domain Name for this site because this site deals with making money legitimately online. So carefully choose your domain name. Because your domain name first speaks of what your blog is all about, before the main contents.
5. Decide on the kind of hosting plan you want to use: step 5 on How To Set Up a WordPress Blog
There are many kinds of hosting plans available for each Hosting Company. Each hosting plan differs in their storage capacity, speed and security. If you are building a business website you need a higher hosting plan with higher memory capacity. But if you are just building for a normal blog, then using a shared hosting is not a bad idea. I personally, i use shared hosting for almost all my blogs and they all serve me so well.
But please if you are building a blog that has to do with collecting and storing users data, then you need a higher hosting plan so as to be able to hold the memory capacity of the blog. So in essence, the higher the task you want to carry out on the blog/website, the higher the hosting plan you go for. So whenever you think of how to set up a WordPress Blog, then just think of choosing the right hosting plan. As that will go a long way to help in building a good WordPress site/blog.
6. Install your WordPress
One of the most important steps whenever you think of how to set up a WordPress Blog, is the installation of your WordPress Software. After buying your Domain name and your hosting, the next big step is installing your WordPress. You can do this through your control panel. In some Hosting Companies like Namecheap, they help you to do this. This is in case you don’t know how to do it yourself. This is where a good customer care comes to play its role.
WordPress is like an already built template that guides you in building your won desired site/blog. It already has inbuilt codes and patterns, that you don’t need to start coding from the scratch. Everything is already coded and compiled in form of a UI (User Interface).
In installing a WordPress, make sure you choose your username and password carefully. Because you will be required to provide them while trying to login to your WordPress Dashboard. If the WordPress is installed by your host customer care, then request for the login details from them. Although, by default, they would immediately send it to you , after the WordPress installation.
This is the last stage on How To Set Up a WordPress Blog. You need to customize your blog to look pleasant to the eyes. This also helps in easy navigation too. In doing this, you first of all, choose your desired theme. Then go to theme customize to set your blog appropriately.
The picture above shows how to customize your blog. There you set your blog logo, your menu, your categories and so forth. Customizing a blog is one important step to put into consideration, whenever you are thinking of how to set up a WordPress Blog.
After customizing your blog, then you can start putting up contents. Please in customizing your blog, you also need to install some plugins too that are necessary. Some themes even require you to compulsorily install some plugins to be able to use.
Trust i have attended to your question ‘How To Set Up a WordPress Blog’. So any time you ask yourself how to set up a WordPress Blog, then make sure to follow the above steps. WordPress is undoubtedly the best platform for building blogs and sites, for those that don’t know how to code. Believe i have attended to your question above. Please make sure you sign up for our news letter, and always check our blog for new posts of this manner. I love you all, and wish you the best in your blogging career.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is the most popular CMS platform. That allows and supports those that don’t know to write computer codes, to build websites/blogs without writing any line of code.
Do i need any technical skills to be able to set up my blog on WordPress?
Actually, you do not need any coding or software skills to use WordPress. But you still need to learn how to use the WordPress itself. Although it is user friendly, but you still need to learn how to walk around the environment.
How much does it cost to set up a blog/website on WordPress?
Setting up a blog this days is very affordable and cheap. Unlike before, that it was too expensive. You only have to basically buy your Domain Name, and your Hosting. And you are good to go.
How to i write and publish my first post?
Writing your first WordPress post is not hard. On your dashboard, navigated to the menu by the left hand side. Take your mouse pointer to posts, for a drop down. Then click on add new post to get started. After writing, click on the publish button to publish your first WordPress post.